Information Technology Services is pleased to announce Microsoft’s latest offer of Office 365 ProPlus free of charge to current faculty and staff at the University of Lethbridge.
“Earlier in the fall, Microsoft offered the Office 365 Student Advantage Program free to currently registered students, and now they are also extending the offer to current employees of the University,” says Terry Kirkvold, Infrastructure Manager. “Microsoft has re-branded the product as Office 365 ProPlus to include employees’ personal use. This is a significant offer from Microsoft.”
Kirkvold adds the offer is solely meant for home or personal use since the University currently provides Office products to all employees for work purposes via a site license. Employees will no longer need to purchase it with Professional Supplement and personal funds.
This offer is identical to the Student Advantage plan, and permits installation of all Office products on up to five different Windows and Apple devices including laptops, desktops, smartphones and tablets.
“We would also like to advise those who choose to download the product during the Christmas break that should they have any difficulties with the installation, we will not have staff working to assist them with troubleshooting.”
Those who download and install on devices that currently do not have any Office products on them should not experience any issues, he says. But those who have old copies of Office software on their machines could run into difficulties if they do not carefully read and follow the instructions on the Microsoft website. His best advice is to wait until all technical staff are back on January 5, 2015.
“We wanted to get the information out now to make faculty and staff aware of the offer in the event they receive a new device for Christmas and decide to purchase Office 365. It will save them a bit of frustration when they find out it’s free after the fact.”
- Students have been offered Office 365 for free since September through the Student Advantage Program.
- Microsoft is now extending the same offer, Office 365 ProPlus for free to faculty and staff for home/personal use
- Office 365 can be installed on up to five (5) personal devices
- Downloading on devices that do not currently have Office products installed should result in a smooth installation
- Downloading on devices that already have Office products may cause issues if instructions are not followed closely
- U of L technical support will NOT be available during the Christmas break.
- If in doubt, wait until the Solutions Centre staff is back on January 5, 2015 to attempt installation
- Do not purchase Office 365 products when you can get them for free
For more detailed information on this Microsoft offer, visit the IT Services website.
Click here to download the Office 365 ProPlus package – but please remember there will be no technical support over the Christmas break.
Here are some sites that may assist should you choose to proceed:
Getting Started with Office 365
For more information:
Effective January 5th, please contact the Solutions Centre at (403) 329-2490, firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop in to E610 in University Hall.